Friday, February 11, 2022

Indie Romance Conveniton special Count down to Valentines Day author blog postings


 


Odd View of Valentine’s Day from a Romance Author

 

Just because I write contemporary romance novels, people expect me to love Valentine’s Day. Well, if you’re one of those people, here’s a news flash. I don’t. And here’s why.

Life is short and, at best, unpredictable. So, if you love someone, tell them. Not because it’s a national (fake) holiday, but because YOU LOVE THEM! Life doesn’t come with guarantees, people. Having spent a huge chunk of my professional life in emergency departments, I can tell you this with a degree of authority. The only thing we have is this moment. This heartbeat. The rest is what we hope for. Long for. Make plans for. As Woody Allen once said, “If you want to make God laugh, tell Him about your plans.”

I love to remind my husband how low-maintenance I am (LOL). Please don’t buy me overpriced roses on Valentine’s Day because you’ll feel guilty if you don’t. First, I'm not a huge fan of roses. They’re an obvious and unoriginal choice. Second, knowing how much you spent will not impress me. Want to remind me how smart I was for picking you? Give me flowers on a Tuesday. Just because. That will make me happy and fall in love with you all over again. Don’t get me started about going out for dinner that night. I'm probably working anyway…

Another thing I don’t like (read HATE) about Valentine’s Day is the pressure it puts on single women (and possibly men but I wouldn’t dare to speak for them). The takeaway message is if you don’t have a date, then you’re somehow less worthy. Really? So you might be a doctor or teacher or graduate student or the very brave woman who drove my kids to school this morning, but if you happen to be home alone on V-Day you’re less of a woman? Absolutely NOT! Since when does our worth come from our relationship status, especially on one day out of the entire year?

Here's the bottom line as I see it. Valentine’s Day is all about the marketing. If Groundhog Day had better marketing, we’d all have stuffed groundhogs in our homes. Well, I do, but it’s my dog’s favorite toy. If you love someone, tell them. If you’re single, don’t sweat it. And don’t settle just because of the date on the calendar. Love comes when you least expect it. Trust me, it did for me....


Kimberly O'Malley Amazon link 


Death by Chocolate book link 


Would you like to meet Kimberly O'Malley in person and others like her? Please visit our website to find out how and where. https://www.indieromanceconvention.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Indie Romance Conveniton special Count down to Valentines Day author blog postings

  Love and Laughter make the world round by,   Leanne Tyler   Is there anything more spectacular than opening a book and meeting the hunki...